Monday 6 January 2014

Things you learn when you move in with your better (or worst..) half

Cable knitting ended in a disaster- tension was too tight, then the cat decided he'd get involved and 'help' and ended up eating half the knitting. Will elaborate more I think in another post


I decided what I could write for my first (serious) blog post and I decided on something that I've learnt in 2013. It's been a rather boring year in comparison to 2012- where I met the love of my life, started a new career and lost my amazing father. A boring year was just what I needed. One thing that will stand out about 2013 was when I moved in with my boyfriend into his pokey little flat.

Background: We met via online dating in 2012. Our first date consisted of drinks at one of our favourite pubs the Malt Cross in Nottingham. We drank a lot I believe I drank mostly red wine and talked about films, books, Dr who and work. The rest, they say, is history...

Fast forward to 2014 and we'd been through a lot as a couple. I thought moving in would be fun after all we practically spent most nights together at each others houses, surely living together would just be if anything easier! However as we've now lived together for just over 6 months I've learnt some little pearls of wisdom...


1. Men like their TV

I feel like I am constantly in a battle with the TV. I have to pre-book 'tv time' in advance and offer something back in return. For example "Can I watch Downton Abbey If I let you play FIFA 2014 for an hour before hand?". The solution I hear you say is to get a second tv- unfortunately not available at the moment. I knew men liked the TV, I grew up with two brothers and a dad who were always dominating the tv with football so this wasn't really a surprise. Most of the time I let him watch what he wants and find something else to do and we try and watch what we both like...but men can get very possessive of their Tv's. Plus a TV is like a penis to a man- the bigger the better...

2. Say goodbye to politeness and romance

"Honey can you just make me a cup of tea whilst you're up"- "No, you have legs"
"You're feet really smell"
"Do you want to go for a meal at our local hungryhorse?"
"Can you look at this spot on my back?"
"Man I just destroyed that bathroom"

Just a few things you'd say to each other. He's lovely- trust me and sometimes he will make me a cup of tea however the compliments and behaviour he had when we were first dating has dwindled as I suppose he no longer has to impress. This also goes two ways...

3. You're messier than you thought

Usually what happens is the man is the messier one. In our relationship that is slightly reversed. I always knew I was a little cluttered an 'organized mess'. However living with someone has shown me I'm actually much worse than I thought I was...oops!

4. You join a team

When considering things such as housework, food shopping, bills, finances I soon learnt it's not a competition. I acted at first like it was I did a whole 'I've done the washing up..so can you now do the hoovering". However realised that it's simply not right, I learnt to do things when it happens rather than use it as a scoreboard. We're a team in it together.

5. You have a new family

Before we lived together my boyfriend was just my boyfriend nothing more nothing less. Now we live together I see him as a member of my family- he's quite literally my other half. Just as much as I wouldn't make decisions without consulting my parents or siblings I now do the same with him.

6. He will see the real you...and I mean the REAL you

You know that face you make when you pluck your eyebrows or how frustrated you get over when eye-liner goes wrong? Or how about waxing your bikini line...eating that whole pack of biscuits. He will see it, he will know about it and he will laugh..

7.  Netflix is a truly wondrous thing


Never will we argue about what to watch as netflix offers so many choices. Plus you will both enjoy netflix marathons together- this isn't exclusive to those in a relationship but it's an 'activity' you can share.

8. You will become an entity
Christmas cards, wedding invites etc will now become 'you and him' and not just 'you'. In turn you start sending presents as a couple and signing cards as a couple to all your friends.

9. You will learn to be together, it doesn't happen like in the movies

It's easy to think sometimes moving in together solves many of lifes issues. That it'll be like a Disney movie without the wedding- he will come home, you'll have dinner ready and you'll spend the evening having fantastic sex. WRONG. You need to work hard, nothing in life happens automatically. You need to learn to make time together, work at communication and sometimes make mistakes brings you closer

10. It's actually kind awesome

It's like living with your best friend except a very cute and hot best friend who you also love...












No comments:

Post a Comment